Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Take your hat off your head.

I took my nephew to the Dayton Dragons baseball game. They are a single A team for the Cincinnati Reds. While standing with my hat in my hand at a modified parade rest, I listened to the National Anthem. I watched a man (term used loosely) standing with his hat on in the aisle. His 13 year old Daughter reached up and removed his hat for him. I was happy that a young person should be so respectful of our traditions. A split second later I was shocked and angry when the Dad (used very loosely) snatched his hat from the girl put it back on his head and tersely berated her for removing his hat. I was so ANGRY I thought of confronting him but decided that would have been worse during the National Anthem. I looked around at the crowd and found four more Men in their mid forties wearing their hats while the band played. I was really saddened by the actions of Men who were old enough to know better. I hope this was an isolated incident, but I know it was a sign of a terrible trend......

2 comments:

buckeyeaa said...

You and I know so well what it means to stand at attention in dress blues, or any other part of our uniforms, while the National Anthem or colors are played. I still get a lump in my throat when I hear it. It hurts me to to see the takers in our society who "expect their rights" while not doing anything to gain or keep them or knowing of the pain and hell of fighting for them. I hate to say it but this is NOT the country of our parents, the greatest generation, who sacrificed so much to win WWII. Thank you for your service in the Marines and now as a police officer. Semper Fi!!!!

Rick

ewtotel said...

Rick above described them as "takers" ... PERFECT description.

I'm afraid it's only going to get worse...